Old 01-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Frogleg

Default Newbie: Slug problem

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:33:58 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Dave Moore" wrote in message
This is my first posting to this group, and I do so on behalf of my wife a
new and inexperienced enthusiast of gardening.

Karen has noticed a profusion of tiny slugs appearing to come from beneath

small area of timber decking and recalled having to deal with a large

number
of gi-normous ones during the end of last summer.

Can anyone give some advice as to how to deal with the problem?

There are a myriad of hints and tips for dealing with a slug problem. None
of them work reliably. The only treatment which I have found to actually
deal with the problem is to scatter metaldehyde crumbs (ordinary common or
garden slug killer) near where the damage is being done.

A recent tip in rec.gardens suggested a disposable slug/snail trap
made from a plastic soda bottle: cut off the top 1/3rd; put slug
bait/poison in the bottom part; reverse the top 3rd (you *will* have
discarded the cap, right?) and insert; staple for secure operation;
and arrange this on its side on the soil.

The picture shows to lay the trap on its side.
| \ )
| o )