Old 01-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Serissa dying - help!

This might explain the whole thing. It seems the mixture was

too
concentrated. Also the watering was done by placing it in a

few
inches of water so the soil never got a chance to wash out.

Lot of
the leaves fell into the plant too and some of the soap residue

might
have gone into the soil because the leaf drop seems to have
accelerated recently. Plant is not robust enough to replant

but we
did replace the soil on the outside. I am wondering if we can

give
the soil a good wash by watering it from the top for a few

minutes.
Will this be too much water?

Repotting seldom hurts a sick plant, especially if roots are the
problem.

I recall you saying you watered every 3-4 days. That sounds
pretty good, but do you check the soil before you water? It
should be barely damp to the touch, or even dry. Your
description of brown-turning-black leaves is typical of a root
problem, and the most common root problem is too much water

and
rotted roots.

I water it after testing the soil by inserting the finger about

1/2"
deep. If it is damp then it is not watered.

What kind of soil is it in? And, oh yes, are there rocks

glued
onto the top of the soil?

It was in soild that came orignially with the plant. I am not

sure
about "rocks glued onto ..." What do you mean by that?

If you can jam your finger into the soil, there aren't any
rocks -- and if they were there, you'd know it. ;-)

As the tree is probably leafless now, it will want less water
since it no longer is transpiring through the leaves.

Noted.

_I_ would lift the tree from its pot and take a close look at

the
roots. They should be yellow-brown and firm, not black and
soggy-crumbly.

The roots seem fine.

Others have already told you that Serissa lose their leaves

when
you even look cross-eyed at them, but this sounds more

serious;
usually the leaves just turn yellow and drop off. Then they
immediately (almost) resprout.

Strange thing is that there is a little bit of growth but when

leaves
get bigger they die out. Also some of the leaves are
disproportionately large but that is because they are close to

the
light source.

Gosh, that STILL sounds like a root problem. Those new leaves
are sprouting from the nutrient reserves the tree has stored up
for the winter. The fact that they're dying right away indicates
to me that there's nothing much _beyond_ those reserves. It
doesn't sound to me like there is a lot of hope, but _I_ would
repot into a shallow, LARGER pot (maybe an azalea pot???), using
a coarse bonsai soil, then would set it aside in a cool spot, but
still where it gets at least 12 hours of good light.

BTW, large leaves usually indicate the light level is too LOW --
the tree is trying its darndest to increase the surface area to
allow at least some photosynthesis.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++