Old 01-02-2004, 03:18 PM
David J Bockman

Default Speckled Rhodie Leaves

As Lacebug damage increases, subsequent opportunistic diseases can also take
hold... perhaps you have a multi-front attack on your rhodies!

At this time of year (at least in all but the warmer parts of the US)
Lacebugs won't be present, but their eggs will be. As the weather warms,
consider using a horticultural oil like Sunspray Ultrafine in order to
smother the eggs.

Lacebugs set up shop usually in weakened rhodies that are either getting too
much sun, are too dryish, not getting enough nitrogen/chelated iron, or some
combination therein.

Dave

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message
There is dark speckling on the underside of the leaves but it looks more
like physiological leaf spot - or maybe both types of spotting. I'm just

too
inexperienced to tell the difference. I did find a couple of tiny
light-colored insects on the underside of each leaf I brought in for
inspection that might well be lacebugs (if they are tiny enough to be

hardly
able to make out with a 10X loupe).

karen

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Check the undersides of the leaves for evidence of Lacebug poop... will

look
like black pepper.

Dave

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message
A few of my rhododendrons' leaves are showing a loss of color this

winter.
They look almost white with green speckling. Anyone know what this is

and
what I can do for it?

Thanks.

Karen