Old 01-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Robert

Default Allotments and thieves/vandals?

: How *are* allotments protected/restricted? I've never seen an
: arrangement with huts and semi-permanent participation (in the US).
: There are a few "community gardens" locally. One experiment in an
: 'inner city' area was completely vandalized about halfway through the
: growing season. My own plot (20'x40') was on a gov't site (NASA) and
: out of reach of most yobbos. Large tools (tillers) were kept in a shed
: with a lock all members of the 'garden club' had the combination to.
: Hose(pipe)s, sprinklers, and small tools were left undisturbed. The
: occasional pumpkin or tomato *would* disappear overnight, of course.
:
: So what are the usual arrangements to prevent theft and vandalism?

In my area we rely heavily on different people being there at different
times. We have fencing and padlocked gates but of course this is no
deterrant when they are determined. The local police have been very good
over the last year and have answered 999 calls and arrested two different
groups of youngsters and at least one group of 3 were taken to court. It
seems to have been ........ but I won't tempt fate lol

Robert South West England