Old 01-02-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Freeze Proof Tomato?

in nature, by pollination probably correct. but there are other ways genes cross
species barriers, transposons AKA jumping genes are one way
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...ansposons.html

many of the tricks scientists use in recombinant DNA are found in nature. We use
viruses as vectors to carry wanted genes into plants. And some viruses in nature
pick up host DNA during replication and cart it out with them on the way out to the

I was joking of course about cross pollination, but dont be so sure about the
survivability of cross pollinates. There are precious few in the animal world
(Ligers, mules) but plants are not so fussy about how many chromosomes they can have.
many are fine with double sets (4N). And needless to say, humans have been busy
creating crosses. Ingrid

"Cereus-validus" wrote:

That is botanically impossible, Poi sucker.

wrote in message
cross pollination with the cabbage family?????

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.