Old 01-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Wendy

Default Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed

Al, I know you won't believe this, but I have been following your post &
thought
about a turntable but did not reply as I know zilch about all of this???
Anyway I must tell you that we hauled out our old Dual Turntable &
connected it
to a receiver & my computer. I have some old, old albums I want to copy.
Well the belt drive for the pitch or speed was broken. My husband searched
for one
& the going price was $35!!!
He used a wide rubber band. *g*
--
Cheers Wendy
Ps......There has to be a clever song title to go along with your

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Al" wrote in message
om...
: I just wanted to let people know what I finally did with regard to a
: roller drum. I went into my attic where, low and behold, I found an
: assortment of antique and very eBay-able turntables for those old
: fashion records that many of you youngsters have never seen. I
: actually have three of them that go back to my childhood up there. I
: picked the Panasonic turn table with the built in 8 track player and
: using a drill and some screws fashioned the spinning part to hold two
: 16 flask holders. Setting at an angle it spins them quite well at 45
: rpms. I can load this contraption with about 10 flasks before it
: starts to sound like it is working too hard and needs to be switched
: to 78 rmps. Good enough to experiment with.
:
: The hardest part was disabling the auto changer and automatic needle
: arm. I had to go into the box and remove a gear in order to prevent
: all chance that it would decide to "change records" when I turned my
: back.
:
: I have attached a lamp for illumination, and when I want to get really
: silly I have some old speakers in the attic too, as well as a box of
: 8-track tapes. (If they still play I will be amazed. There must be
: some organism that eats magnetic tape)
:
: I probably could have sold the turn-table/8 track tape combo box on
: eBay and bought a new roller drum. :-)
:
: Anyway, thanks for the input...