Old 01-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Elroy Willis

Default Freeze Proof Tomato?

Cereus-validus wrote in rec.gardens

While researching freeze-resistant tomatoes, I ran across several
articles about the introduction of cold-water fish genes
into tomato plants. Whatever gene(s) that keep certain fish from
freezing can be taken out of the fish and introduced into different
plants like the tomato, to keep them from freezing, to a certain
degree.

Some people find such experimentation unacceptable or dangerous,
but I find it fascinating, actually.

That is botanically impossible, Poi sucker.

wrote in message

cross pollination with the cabbage family?????

Elroy Willis wrote:
I'm definitely gonna do that. What I'm curious about is what would
make the skin on this tomato impervious to cold? We've had at least
a dozen freezes around here, some of 'em even in the low 20's.

What could make the skin so freeze-proof, and I wonder if the
seeds will produce fruit with skin so thick it might be inedible or
something. I wonder if a freeze-resistant fruit skin will mean that
the leaves will also be more freeze-resistant?

I guess I'll have to wait till next winter to find out, but that'll
give me something to look forward to.

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound