Old 01-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Reka

Default Who We Are (revisited)

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
OK, my turn...

*I'm about two months' shy of 52, and have been growing orchids for over

30
years.

Well, Ray, *shy* is not one of hte words I would use to describe you.
Reading about your moves: this sounds like army brat?

It's almost like I was destined to grow them: At age 6 I moved to

Linwood,
NJ and was about 3 blocks from Waldor. I was aware of the greenhouses,

but
didn't know what was in them. At age 10 I moved to England, and was about

mile from a very large paph range, but saw nothing in them. A few years
later I ended up in NW DC, and the Kensington area was one of my high

school
stomping grounds...again close to orchids, but didn't know it. As a

junior
at Ga Tech, I started volunteering my free time at the public greenhouses

in
Piedmont Park (now the Atlanta Botanical Garden). About a year into that

started watering the orchid house, and ran into a school buddy, Roger
Huntington. I mentioned that I didn't know he was into orchids, and the
folks around me started laughing. Yep, his dad is Merritt, who owned
Kensington Orchids and was some official in the AOS at that time...

---