Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Tim

Default Greenhouse Tomato Recommendations

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 15:59:31 -0000, "Grinch"
wrote:

I would very much appreciate some advice from the various successful tomato
growers out there.
After 2 seasons of growing Alsa Craig & Alicante I am getting what I think
are virus problems compounded with a bit of botrytis.
Can anybody recommend a greenhouse tomato variety that is resistant to mould
& virus attacks.
I am aware that some F1 hybrids have some of these attributes but how does
this effect taste.
Ideally if anybody who has grown this type of variety and can give an idea
of taste / productivity it would be greatly appreciated.

I can tell you how i do it, it works for me :0)

I grew Unwins "Sweet Million f1 Hybrid" cherry tomato last year, and
they were by far the best cherry toms i have grown.Ive grown Alicante
as well and have not had any problems at all (touch wood).

What i do at this time of year is to disinfect everything with Jeyes
fluid, the pollytunnel floor, walls and the soil, tools, pots and
canes (everything) .

Then a week or so before i move the tom plants from the propagator i
dig a 2 spade depth hole for each plant in the PT and mix the soil
back in with half as much pelleted chicken manure. I also sink a 6"
pot next to each plant (for watering). And then depending on how hot
the weather gets i will fill each pot with water once every day.

And then the normal stuff like pinching the side shoots out, bottom
stems off when about 4' high, misting the flowers and weeding

BTW... i didn't use any liquid tom food last year at all!
I got hundreds of sweet red toms on each plant up until the beginning
of Nov this way.

I'm doing Alicante again this year.

HTH

Many thanks