Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
jane

Default Climbers from Seed

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:49:40 -0000, "Mel" wrote:

~My newish fence desperately needs to be clothed in greenery. I've planted
~hardy wall shrubs such as pyracantha, quince, ceonanthus, jasmine,
~passiflora and clematis, but they're all still far too small to hide the
~fence.
~
~So, in the meantime I want mega-fast-growing plants to cover the fence this
~year.
~
~I'll be growing the plants from seeds, so I don't mind if they're annual. I
~prefer pink, purple or blue flowery things.
~
~I've chosen some fairly unusual, tender seeds, so can anyone tell me if
~these plants will (a) cover my fence this year and (b) even grow here in NW
~England?
~
~Rhodochiton
~Billardiera
~Akebia
~Asarina
~Eccremocarpus
~Cobaea
~Ipomea

I can only comment on Eccremocarpus and Cobaea.

The former I grew from seed and by the end of last year were a couple
of feet high, though I suspect they'd have been much better had I
actually planted them out before the dry spell!

Much to my surprise they have not so far either lost their leaves or
died back, and so I now have a nice evergreen amongst my bare clematis
stems. And it's still growing. But I'm in the Chilterns...

Cobaea is nuts. I've never found anything to rival it for sheer
coverage of fence panels. Yes it does get clobbered by frost, but
you'll definitely have no fence showing for the summer, while any more
perennial plants get going. I have nowhere to grow it now, having
managed what you are trying to achieve! (And if you grow it early
enough it's possible to get the silly thing to flower, but where you
are, probably not).

I have now managed to cover three panels (and half of next door's
pyracantha) with a clematis montana. I suspect in places it's the only
thing holding up that fence...

I grew runner beans up the fence one year, too. They worked!

Do beware of what the fence is coated with, as mine were bought
creosoted (much to my disgust when I found out) and couldn't get much
to grow for the first two years until enough had leached out. Now you
can't buy it, so it may not be as bad.

Oh, if you want another recommendation of a crazy grower, try clematis
tangutica. It has the advantage of growing each year from ground
level, an you can leave the stems on during winter, but it does mean
if you need to replace the panel, you cut it down first and the plant
comes back. And it outgrows the cobaea... flowers bright yellow (not
really what you want) but lovely winter seed heads, and totally mental
growth. It tried to smother the shed next to the fence last year!

I have to get the shears out in about August to keep it from taking
over the clothes line...

--
jane

Mark Twain