Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

I was only 22 when I got hooked.

I think the average age of our group is about 80 . . . . and most of the
female gender (((((((((((

Our Gardening Club started much the same way a year ago, against much
head-shaking and teeth-sucking by the more fogeyish Horticultural
Society members (who are now completely won over and enthusiastic
attenders; in fact to hear some of them talk you'd think it was their
very own idea in the first place). Membership immediately expanded
beyond all expectations, (equal males and females) 40 or 50 turn up to a
monthly meeting including a slowly growing number of younger people
(30-ish). . It has also started a lending library of donated garden
books, which might draw in more newbie gardeners as word gets around.

Last week's meeting was a showing of an official 90 minute video
somebody had bought at the Eden Project, covering Tim Smit's inspiration
and the construction/preparation phase.. fascinating and very well
received by all ages. We're having a second one about the planting of
Eden, at a later meeting.

The initial meeting included a raffle of garden-related spare stuff
donated by founding members, anything from produce, to plants, seeds,
pots etc. It was so popular we now do it every month; very easy
fundraiser :-)

HTH

Janet