Old 02-02-2004, 03:42 AM
Fran

Default Butterflies???

"Jon" wrote in message

I'm getting a little ahead of myself by asking this question since I
dont have a garden yet but I would like to know a little about
using butterflies for pollination.

I know that you need milkweed to sustain a butterfly population since
they lay their eggs on it. It would also help to keep them around. In
an open garden.

I know nothing of butterflies being pollinators but they also love Buddlias
(aka Butterfly bush).

The only 'downside' I can think of for butterflies (and that is for the
butterflies themselves and not for me as I love them for their beauty) is
that birds hang around in bushes near the buddlia and dive out and catch the
butterflies like it's some sort of McDonalds for birds. Still the birds are
also beautiful and they never get all of the butterflies.