Old 02-02-2004, 04:44 AM
Paulo

Default Planted tank help - Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System (Hagen) ??

Id like to try this one. can you explain how and where i should conect the
tubing? How can you regulate the CO2 that gointo the tank?
Thanks

--
Paulo
"Rikko" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:28:49 GMT, "Dunter Powries"
fech.redcap@spedlin wrote:

Maqua wrote in message
om...
Ok, here's what I've noticed after doing a do it yourself co2 injector
set up.

You, my friend, have been engaged in some kind of intensive
wheel-reinvention.

Memo: Check krib FIRST.

The essentials: Use a juice bottle - they are less likely to collapse

(or
tip over!) than a soda bottle. Do not use very hot water as it will

weaken
the plastic bottle as well as killing the yeast. You only need a pinch

of
yeast - maybe an 1/8 tsp - it is a living organism and will multiply
(provided you haven't killed it with hot water). I find that 1/8 tsp

yeast
to 1.5 cups of sugar will last from one weekly water change to the next.

Still, nothing like learning the empirical way, eh?

I reverse-engineered the Hagen ratios for their CO2 system:
4oz sugar
add 2ml (by volume - I used a Tetra/Wardley pH test tube) wine yeast
add 4ml baking soda
fill to 16oz line with lukewarm water (not tank water)
leave 4oz empty air

Shake a very tiny bit to get things moving (I tipped it upside down
and back - no more) and hook 'er up - I had my 2L pop bottle bubbling
steadily for about 2 months.