Old 02-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

lid (Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

I've thought that staging small one-day displays at local
shopping malls *might* attract potential new members, but with
something as specialized as rock gardening, perhaps one person in
a thousand would turn out to be a keener.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Speaking as someone who keeps failing
to get round to joining the local gardening group, I would be encouraged to
do so if I came across it doing something at a place where I already had to
be.

Maybe also leafleting, or doing something in conjunction with a local
school or in a B&Q or garden centre carpark at a weekend/bank holiday or
something?

I think I've seen them advertise midweek daytime meetings, which is
impossible for me, (and also shrieks ' we are all retired!').

But one reason I haven't joined yet is that when I go to the one shop where
they post their regular meetings notice, I never have a pen or any paper
with me! If they had a website, I'd probably be a member by now.

(Website: this need not be complicated or cost anything. A templated
freeby gadget such as those provided by
http://www.blogspot.com/ would be
ample, and very easy to manage.)

To address the gender balance, I suggest you also post details of events at
the local pub ;-).

HTH!

Victoria