Old 02-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Christopher Norton

Default Climbers from Seed

The message
from "Mel" contains these words:

"Mel" wrote:
My newish fence desperately needs to be clothed in greenery. I've planted
hardy wall shrubs such as pyracantha, quince, ceonanthus, jasmine,
passiflora and clematis, but they're all still far too small to hide the

fence.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll go with the sweet peas and
runner beans (food, colour and scent - what more can I ask for). I didn't
realise sweet peas grew so tall, because the ones I grow struggle to reach a
foot. Hmm, I just hope that sweet peas are not one of those plants that I
can't grow (aubretia and lily of the valley are the others).

So, when should I sow the sweet pea seeds? I have a greenhouse with a small
heater which keeps it to about 5 degrees. If I plant the seeds directly
into the soil will they grow fast, or is it better to start them off earlier
in the greenhouse?

Heated greenhouse. Get em in now i`d say.

Also, if I want very dense coverage of the fence, can I plant each sweet pea
just a couple of inches apart?

Thanks.

That would be very dense indeed!!!! Nice display though.