Old 02-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Ricky

Default Propagating Tall Phlox

"Dan D." wrote in message
m...
Greetings, I've got a single stem garden phlox, sapinaria officionalis.
It's come back each spring for 3 years but has not multiplied.
There was still only a single stem last summer.

Any ideas how to propagate this plant?
Thanks!

Dan,
Why would you want to propagate a poisonous weed? Ah, building a
playground, are we? Any how Saponaria officionalis has a hollow stem so
cuttings won't work. You could pinch off the new growth and force branching
or you could dig the plant up and try to divide the rhizomes. I would wear
gloves. Pretty flower, by the way, looks like Pinwheel Jasmine (T.
divaricata) that we have in zone 10.