Old 02-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Hal

Default Salt in a Nutshell

On 02 Feb 2004 01:15:22 GMT, (Judi9000) wrote:

This is really basic, but can someone tell me how many CUPS of salt to add to a
300 gal pond?

How much salt is present already?
What percentage salt do you wish to end up with?
Did you know the percentage of salt added to a pond is based on weight
and not volume which may vary in weight due to coarseness of the salt?

Simply put 2.64 pounds or 2 pounds and 10 ounces will be about .1% salt
in a 300 gallon pond, provided there was no salt there to begin with.

To convert from pounds of salt to cups of salt you would need to weigh
the measured salt or find a conversion table for the granular coarseness
of the salt you wish to use.

SWAG: I'd go with 2 1/2 one pound boxes of table salt without iodine.
Close enough to .1% to stimulate slime coat and not too much for most
plants. Use caution adding the fine grain salt, it dissolves quickly.

Regards,

Hal