Old 02-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Interrupted Daytime Lighting Advice

"A Stuartgranti" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to try a 2 hour lights off period during the middle of the day
(while I'm at work basically). Are there any advantages/disadvantages of
this regarding plants or algae control? I personally don't buy any
arguement of stressing out the fish. My room isn't pitch dark or anything
(fair amounts of indirect sun) and it's not like fish in the wild freak

out
everytime it gets cloudy.

Thanks in advance!

Somewhere in the 90's (I think, maybe earlier) it was thought that this
would help combat algae. The theory behind this is that algae needs some
time to start it's ynthesis process, while plants can start right
away. This way you're giving an advantage to the plants. However this is
only a theory, no one has proven it true or false. You can read up on this
subject on the krib.

Harry