Old 02-02-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Heated pond

I use a 500 watt aquarium heater in a 1600 gallon 4' deep pond but I have the pond
covered to prevent water loss. this is essential for keeping the heat in as well and
preventing the loss of too much water.
on 1-16 the water temp was 50oF and was the last day I fed them. then came the cold
snap and the pond temp dropped to 40o where it is now. I am in zone 5, Milwaukee.
but just covering the pond with plastic over arched pvc or a wood lean to you can
really keep the water open all winter no problem with a little heater and a pump.
I am heating my pond so my fish dont go "dormant" for so long each year. last year
the temp was below 50o for 6 months. I am hoping to cut down the "down time" to 2
months using this 500 watt heater. It is only like having 5 - 100 watt light bulbs
on all the time. I also hope to stop swinging temps that bring on ich. so far, so
good. temps have not fallen below 40o. Ingrid

"FrankS" wrote:
I live in North Dakota and for the last week or so the temperature has been
VERY cold. The night time temps have been as low as -28 degrees F for
several nights with the daytime high temps staying below minus 10 degrees
for about a week now. This is cold even for us natives.

I have a small pond, about 300 gallons, stocked with gold fish, a comet, koi
and shibunkin(sp?) and maybe a crayfish or two. The pond was nearly covered
with snow and frost that I was sure the fish would be crispy critters by now
but this afternoon I braved the cold and went out to check on them. I was
surprised and, to say the least, pleased that everyone seemed to be in as
good as spirits as possible under the circumstances. I use a 1200 watt
floating stock tank heater and a bubbler pump but I wasn't sure if the
heater could keep up with the constant cold temps. This, to me, is proof of
the hardiness of pond fish and the value of a $30 heater. My real problem
is evaporation, the cold air is very dry and the comparative warm water
makes for rapid evaporation so I'm the only guy in the neighborhood with a
garden hose stretched out in the back yard all winter.

Anyone have a similar experiences?

Frank

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/