Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default removing grass from veg patch

The message m
from SteveM contains these words:

Hi

I have just got my first allotment. It is 250sqm and is covered in
grass but very few 'weeds' having been used last year until autumn.
(The soil was rotovated about a year ago but had crops in only a few
areas.)

Can anyone suggest how to get rid of the layer of grass, I have read
the FAQ but need some more specific advice. Would it be a good idea to
use a turf cutter to lift the top layer, or is there any other way to
create beds without using chemicals if possible?

You can cover the ground with old carpets (not rubber-backed, it
disintegrates), old tarpaulins, flattened cardboard packing cartons
(free and ready bundled up,from shops) or black plastic. The last three
need weighing down with planks or stone.Lack of light will kill all
growth within a couple of months..it's a good way to control weeds on
vacant ground in summer too. If using cardboard or black plastic, you
can leave it in place at planting time, cut an x with a knife, and plant
potatoes, bean plants etc through the hole.

Janet