Old 03-02-2004, 12:38 AM
David Hill

Default Potatoes in a tub????

".........I am thinking of lining a dustbin with a bin liner (both to have
drainage holes) and growing some in it cos I guess its easy to pile in soil
to earth up experience/advice please....."

This is where Bob Flowerdew's "Car tyres" would be good.
Use your bin liner folded down to one tyre height then as the potatoes start
sprouting then add a tyre, raising the sides of the bag as you go, then each
time the shoots get to be 8 or so inches add a tyre and earth up taking care
not to cover the top of the plants, this way the plants won't get to leggy
as they will have plenty of light.
If you use a Bin then the plants are going too stretch for the light, and it
is from the leaf nodes that you get the potatoes formed, so the more nodes
the more potatoes.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries