Old 03-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Stephen Howard

Default Potatoes in a tub????

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:16:07 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

Has anyone grown potatoes in a large tub ?

I am thinking of lining a dustbin with a bin liner (both to have drainage
holes) and growing some in it

cos i guess its easy to pile in soil to earth up

experience/advice please

Haven't tried it, but have been tempted by His Bobness, Duke of
Flowerdew's suggestion of using a tower of old tyres.
Earthing up consists of bunging another tyre on the pile when the
haulm reaches over the current tyre, and infilling with soil.

Harvesting is simply a matter of removing a tyre at a time.

You should have good results in a bin....I think this is the method
Geoff Hamilton ( mayherestinpeace ) used to bring on his Christmas
spuds.

Might be worth using a cheap potting compost, it would mean the crop
wouldn't be attacked by the slugs....and the spent compost could be
chucked on the garden as a soil improver.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk