Old 03-02-2004, 12:45 AM
deepeddygirl

Default St. Augutsine grass - too early to sod in Feb?

Geo-Growers has some soil that they recommend for putting down under
sod. It's an investment, but so is the grass.

The soil we will use has water holding properties that increase the
likelihood of the grass surviving through our droughts. We have a large
front yard and we are on a well so we can't water as much as someone
with a smaller lot and city water.

FWIW...

Brian Anderson wrote:

animaux wrote:

I am plannning to sod my backyard with St Augustine in early to mid
Feb. Will it survive any other deep frosts we might still get?

Yes, it's fine. I put mine down in January 4 years ago. Keep it
watered well
and don't walk on it for a while.

Speaking of sod, is there any particular treatment that should be done
to the ground before putting down St. Augustine? Is roto-tilling a good
idea, or is it unnecessary? The area I need to sod isn't particularly
compacted, but not exactly loose either.

Thanks.