Old 03-02-2004, 04:34 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default Fluorite - How much rinsing ???!!!

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:16:31 -0500, "Nemo" wrote:

It seems that warm/hot water get dirtier than cold(er) water. Am I simply
washing off the fines, or am I forcing some of the active ingredients into
solution? The bag says the material is chemically inactive.

Nothing is dissolving. You are possibly creating more fine dust by
excessive rinsing.

The best method I've found for rinsing Flourite is to get a piece of
window screen material, form a basket/net with it, fill the basket
with about 1/3 of the flourite bag, rinse for around 5 minutes, and
you are done. The screen allows the fine stuff to wash away easily.
Pour that basketfull into the tank, and rinse the next 1/3. It goes
very quickly, with minimal work.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua