Old 03-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Djay

Default Interrupted Daytime Lighting Advice

Had my timer so that lights would come on at 7 a.m. and off at 11 a.m. then
back on at 3 p.m. and off at 10 p.m. My goal was to have 11 hours of
lighting and have the tank viewable in the evenings while keeping the lights
off during the hottest part of the day. Plants grew just fine. Fish
thrived...

Good Luck.

DJay
wrote in message
For years I have had my lights come on for 6 hours, off for 6 hours,
on for 6 hours, off for 6 hours. I do this to reduce the heat on the
tank during the hottest part of the day.

Never had a problem with the plants or the fish, eveyone seems to do
just fine. At some point I posed the same question and the basic
response at the time was that no one could think of any reason it
would be detrimental.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:07:50 -0500, "Harry Muscle"
wrote:

"A Stuartgranti" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,
I want to try a 2 hour lights off period during the middle of the

day
(while I'm at work basically). Are there any advantages/disadvantages

of
this regarding plants or algae control? I personally don't buy any
arguement of stressing out the fish. My room isn't pitch dark or

anything
(fair amounts of indirect sun) and it's not like fish in the wild freak

out
everytime it gets cloudy.

Thanks in advance!

Somewhere in the 90's (I think, maybe earlier) it was thought that this
would help combat algae. The theory behind this is that algae needs some
time to start it's ynthesis process, while plants can start right
away. This way you're giving an advantage to the plants. However this

is
only a theory, no one has proven it true or false. You can read up on

this
subject on the krib.

Harry