Old 03-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Pam

Default Questions about Brassovola nodosa fragrance

From the Orchid Society of Nova Scotia
"The last brassavola that I will mention is Brassavola flagellaris. It
comes from Brazil. The leaves of this specie can reach to almost three
feet. They are thin whiplike leaves. The flowers are clustered in
groups of 3-8, and when a large plant is in bloom it is quite a
sight."

All the websites I could quickly find agreed it was fragrant, but none
said what it smelled like. I'm afraid this plant is to large for me.

"Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message news:RZBTb.2006$Yj.1641@lakeread02...
I am certainly not an expert however yesterday our society met. The
lecturer mentioned that there is tremendously variability in both the
intensity and the quality of the fragrance in Brassovola nodosa. Mine is
very fragrant but I would characterize the smell as more of a sweet perfume
than citrusy or orange-like.

He also mentioned one of his favorite scented orchids and easy to grow was
Brassovola flagillaris. I'm thinking about trying to find it. Anyone have
experience with it?

Thanks.
"Pam" wrote in message
m...
I have seen brassovola nodosa described as having a citrus aroma.
Does this mean it smells like lemon Pledge or smells like citrus
blossoms? Is it only the species that smells strongly? I have seen
nodosa "white heart" advertised and also nodosa "Little Stars". Are
these varieties more or less aromatic than the species?