Old 03-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Derek Turner

Default removing grass from veg patch

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:02:07 GMT, SteveM
wrote:

I'm guessing from your replies that lifting turf is not really a useful
option. Also I know that grass clippings can go on the compost heap
but I thought that turves might not do it any good.

au contraire. using a turf cutter is a very viable (if somewhat
expensive) option and is quick and efficient. however, don't put the
turves on the compost heap: stack them brown-side-up in a corner of
the allotment and in a year or so you'll have a pile of loamy compost
perfect for potting. grass clippings CAN go on the compost but should
be mixed with plenty of 'brown' material (last year's stalks, stems,
shredded cardbord etc. to avoid a 'slimy' heap. Titchmarsh lends his
name to a commercial product called 'absolute rot' if you have no
'brown' available. (never used it).