Old 03-02-2004, 02:32 PM
WiGard

Default best way to get rid of lawn

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:23:46 +0000, dd wrote:

This spring, we are taking the plunge and getting rid of our front lawn,
or what's left of it. It covers about 200 square feet. It will be a lot of
work for me (older female) to dig out the sod. After I dig it out, I will
have to put it in the garbage. (We have a small urban lot and there is
absolutely no place to compost the sold or hide it.)

So, will using Round-up kill the grass in a satisfactory manner? Will it
leave soil in which I can plant new plants in a month or so after the
grass is dead? Will the Round-up hurt the dogwood tree that is under the
grass? Will it hurt the birds who visit my garden?

Normally, I am not a fan of Round-up, but it does seem like a good
alternative to digging out all that sod.

Thanks for any help.

I have used Roundup. It works quite nicely. Once everything is dead and
the 2-3 week wait is done, till the soil 8-12" deep. Add peat by
spreading 2" over the tilled area. Retill to incorporate the peat into
the soil. Now the bed is ready for planting.

It's always a good idea to get the soil tested for the type of gardening
you plan to do. vegetables, annuals and perennials all have different
needs.

If you are planting perennials, the extra time, effort and cost you invest
today will pay back in the years to come. Poorly prepared soils and beds
will only disappoint in 2-3 years as plant production begins to wane.