Old 03-02-2004, 02:43 PM
torgo

Default Complimentary Roses

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:29:10 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

I planted them, then it rained and rained and would not stop raining.
The consensus is, they drowned. Believe it or not.

Thinking back to last spring, I'd believe anything. We had two floods
followed by a late freeze followed by more flooding, and then even an
earthquake thrown in just for chuckles. Most of my roses pretty much
just pouted all summer long after that.

Speaking of compact Austins, do you have Tamora? Way too cute.
Maybe 2.5 X 2.5 in my garden. Perfect container rose, I imagine,
though mine is in the ground. Not yellow, but peachy. Nice scent.

I thought about ordering a Tamora for this year. My mother has one in
her yard and absolutely loves it. I'm replacing the front row of a
bed in front of my living room window with compact bushes. The
current selections are Fair Bianca, Marmalade Skies, Europeana,
Kathryn Morley, and Betty Boop. If one of them can't make it through
the summer, Tamora is the current first choice as a replacement.

Betty Boop is one you may consider - if you like the color blend, the
bush is a big time bloomer.

You do know what I like! My DJ is in his fifth year, mingling with
Sombrueil in a mound on a chain link fence and climbing 15 feet
up into a row of mature hollies. Stunning!! An aptly names heartwrecker!

That's good to hear - a Don Juan was among the bare roots that I
bought on clearance in late May and let soak until October. It's
doing well so far, but this will be its first true growing season.
I'm hoping it will add a little zest to a plain old chain link fence.

And voles have eaten three of my Europeanas, but you bet I need to get it
again. The best red floribunda there is, even though I get no scent from it.
The perfect shape, too, and never out of bloom. Thanks for reminding me!

Kentucky Derby is another red that is really growing on me. It isn't
very fragrant, but the bush doesn't seem to mind summer heat and the
blooms have a perfect form. (I love the fragrant reds and dark reds,
but summer isn't kind to most of them. KD doesn't have as strong a
scent, but it's healthy and happy.)

Intrigue is the main purple that caught my attention during last
year's buying binge. This will be its first growing season. I'll let
you know how it does, and I'll keep Royal Amethyst in mind for this
year's shopping.