Old 03-02-2004, 05:43 PM

Default Interrupted Daytime Lighting Advice

"A Stuartgranti" wrote in message . ..
Hello,
I want to try a 2 hour lights off period during the middle of the day
(while I'm at work basically). Are there any advantages/disadvantages of
this regarding plants or algae control? I personally don't buy any
arguement of stressing out the fish. My room isn't pitch dark or anything
(fair amounts of indirect sun) and it's not like fish in the wild freak out
everytime it gets cloudy.

Thanks in advance!

You are not going to find this helps the algae issue.

There are generally other causes that lead to the algae disappearance
that get overlooked when people try and get rid of algae.
Eg more routine work on a neglected tank, pruning, more agressive
treatments, checking their CO2 etc and many time peopkle attribute the
light or the addition of PO4 remove etc to their algae cure.

It's very difficult to assume something causes/cures algae etc without
making sure it was not something esle and it can take time to check
the other issue out that may effect the result first.

This is one HUGE reason why there are so many myths and dogma
surrounding algae and aquatic plants.

Good agressive pruning, water changes, good nutrients/dosing, good
CO2, dense plant biomass work better at controlling algae.

Grow the plants well and give them what they need, and you do not have
algae issues.
So focus on the plants, not the algae.

If you want to use light to your advantage, 3 day blackouts work well
for a number of algae, up to 5-6 days for GW etc, also LESS light
often helps folks since uptake and doing daily dosing, 2-3x a week
dosings etc is not so critical.

regards,
Tom Barr