Old 03-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Bonnie Punch

Default staghorn fern - Platycerium bifurcatum

In article ,
onFitch says...

Bonnie Punch
wrote:

I just bought a small Platycerium bifurcatum - it is currently in a
terracotta pot. Most sites I've looked at indicate that I can leave it
to grow in a pot, but that it would be much better if I mounted it on a
board. Is it a good idea to do this now, or should I wait until later
in the spring when it is activly growing?

Yes, boards or baskets provide much better drainage,
though pots are okay if you can avoid overwatering.
Growing stags in a large greenhouse, I frequently
mounted them on boards during the winter when they
were dormant and less likely to be damaged, being careful
not to pack too much sphagnum around them on the board,
and to run them on the dry side until they start to
produce new sterile fronds (spraying the foliage, but
not the rooting medium, lightly on bright days may be
helpful).

Don Fitch,
Covina, CA.

Thanks for your reply. I shall mount it soon then. Is it likely to have
formed a large rootball in the pot? How would you recommend dealing
with that when I mount it?

I'll go lightly on the sphagnum as you suggest. I'm in the habit of
keeping most things on the dry side during the winter anyhow (fungus
gnats can be a problem), so it'll be easy to do it for this too.

Thanks again
Bonnie Punch