Old 03-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Rod

Default removing grass from veg patch

SteveM wrote:

Thanks to everyone fo the replies.

The light elimination method sounds interesting but being a newbie I'm
all excited and keen to get on with planting so I might limit that to
part of the plot and try the method suggested by Alan and Joan, (cut
the grass short, mulch, till and weed as you go).

I'm guessing from your replies that lifting turf is not really a useful
option. Also I know that grass clippings can go on the compost heap
but I thought that turves might not do it any good.

I wouldn't bother lifting the turves to carry away and stack, just as good to
dig - preferably double dig. Skim the turf off as you go and put it in the
bottom of the trench, chop it about a bit if they are solid turves. I would on
ly do this if I was confident that there wasn't much couch grass amongst it.
Small amounts of couch you can tease the roots out as you go.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html