Old 04-02-2004, 05:33 AM
K Barrett

Default Cattleya question?

Any nursery has small clay pots, or maybe California (where I live) is just
more consumer oriented than the rest of the world. As an alternative you
could reuse your plastic pots, and poke more holes in them with a hot nail.
That way the moss you'd use to repot them in would breathe more.

A seedling trick may help you . Use carpet padding. Put your small pots,
if you can find them, on top of a wet sheet of carpet padding. The padding
keeps moisture and humidity up around the small seedlings. Seedlings are
usually sold in moss anyway, so I'd go with your gut instinct and repot them
in moss in clay, put the whole kit and kaboodle on a sheet of wet carpet
pad, and then treat them as you had been, being very careful not to
overwater. Remember the pad and moss will hold a ton more water than the
previous mix. Do not overwater.

IMHO the vendor who told you that a seedling mini cattleya would bloom in a
1 inch pot should be shot. Or at least never bought from again.

K Barrett
(BTW it should be Lc. Fire Dance 'Patricia'. )

"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
link.net...
Another question if I may.

I have three cats I purchased at the Orchid show at MOBOT two years ago.
One (Le Fire Dance 'Patricia') was in spike. It has rebloomed three

times.
I have not repotted it.

The other two were seedling mini cats. They were in plastic pots about an
inch square and maybe three inches tall. The grower told me they should

be
replanted in the fall and that they could bloom by then.

They were top heavy and I could hardly wait till fall as they were always
falling over. I put them in clay pots filled with Schultz Orchid Mix.

[The
smallest pots I could find were four inch]

They have not done well. I keep hoping, but it is now time to try

something
else.

They both suffer from lack of moisture. I water sometimes once, sometimes
twice a week. This is plenty for all my other orchids.

One appeared to die, but in the last fifteen months has put out tiny
growths. There are four of them all less than 1/2 inch tall.

The other did not die back and it has put out a couple of growths. But,

it
is a very pale green and very wilted all the time.

I am considering repotting with a couple strands of sphagnum in the

planting
mix.

Does anyone have a better idea??

Does anyone know where I might find smaller pots?? I like clay or ceramic

as
the weight keeps them from tipping over.

Thank you for any suggestions you may offer

Ben