Old 04-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Frogleg

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:06:11 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

No non-brilliant need apply? :-)

For adults, herbs seem to generate a lot of interest. Cooking,
medicinal (watch it!) properties, cosmetic uses, etc.

A program on easily-grown veg (lettuce, peas, beans, radishes) might
be appealing, especially considering the cost in stores.

Children (and their parents) may be attracted to things like bean
teepees and sunflower houses. See:

http://tinyurl.com/2e7pk

There are many veg and flowers that sprout reliably and return nearly
instant gratification for children. Also 'weird' veg, like yard-long
beans and strange squash and gourds.