Old 04-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Bob H

Default over-wintering floaters and little bugs

I can't answer all your "why's" but I can say if they are little black hard
spots that move when you touch them they are in fact aphids....they will
kill your plants left untreated, there a couple of treatments that will kill
them and not your fish one has mint the other crushed eggshells....I don't
recall the name at this moment but I suspect a google search for aquatic
aphids will find something.

"J. LaQuiere" wrote in message
Hi guys,

I've posted on here before, but it's been quite a while.
Does anyone know how to over-winter floating plants, (water hyacinth,
frog-bite)? I tried last year by putting them in a plastic dishpan, under
grow lights and after a month or so they got tiny little bugs all over

them.
So I just threw them out.
This year, I took mostly the frog bite inside, I put a handful in the fish
tank on my desk and some in the big plastic tubs I use for my water

canna's
and other potted plants. They seemed to do pretty good for about the first

2
months and then they start getting some brown spots on them and in another
month or so I started seeing the little bugs again. Can anyone help me

here?
Oh the ones I put in my fish tank have been doing pretty well, still green
and they didn't have any bugs (I thought the green was because the fish

tank
light is more powerful.) till the last few days, I just looked over there
and noticed little black specks on one of them.
What type of bug is it? aphides?
and where do they come from? why does it take so long for them to show up?
why don't I see them in the pond, but 5 months after they have been in the
house????

Thanks,
Joy