Old 04-02-2004, 04:02 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Fluorite - How much rinsing ???!!!

I just a couple of days ago set up my 55g, and I didn't really rinse it, I
poured a bag into the bucket, poured water into that bucket and let it over
run the bucket, stuck my hand in and stirred up a bit, poured out the water,
put the flourite in the tank... did this 3 times, and had a brown water
mess.... filled the tank, turned on the filter, let it run for 3 days,
turned off filter, cleaned the media, put it back in turned on and now 5th
day, it's as clear as a bell...not cycled, but clear..

--
RedForeman ©®

"Nemo" wrote in message
.. .
I picked up two bags of fluorite for my 25G. The instructions on the bag

say
rinse before use to wash off the dust. Well I rinsed for over an hour in a
22L bucket and the water is still brown.

It seems that warm/hot water get dirtier than cold(er) water. Am I simply
washing off the fines, or am I forcing some of the active ingredients into
solution? The bag says the material is chemically inactive.

Thanks