Old 04-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Katra

Default Butterflies???

In article ,
(Jon) wrote:

Thanks,

looks like I would have to research the and get the right species so
as to avoid the little critters eating what is planted

You plant extra for them to eat. G
I plant anise and parsley so if and when I find baby swallowtails on my
dill, I just pick them up and move them...

Were you planning on ordering butterflies?
Why not just plant the right flowers to attract the local ones? Yes,
they may lay eggs on your plants, but as I said, plant extra for them to
eat...

Hey, I have to hand pick tomato hornworms when I see signs of them, so
it's no big deal to patrol my other plants. I've never had much of a
problem with butterfly larvae. Except for swallowtails and that is
probably a local phenomenon. And my chickens just LOVE hornworms so it's
fun to toss them in the henyard. G

I knew a little about monarch's but I didn't know the other species
would attack the veggies.

Butterfly gardens are a good thing!

Personally, I have a honeysuckle fence border to attract bees, and I
also plant morning glories for early morning pollinators and moonflower
for the late night guys. Morning glories also attract hummingbirds, as
does scarlet penstemmon (sp?). Not sure if I spelled that last one right?

The moths that moonflowers attract are rilly kewl to watch! I like to
call them hummingbird moths.

Put up hummingbird feeders as well. Beautiful little creatures and even
tho' they are not major pollinators, they do some.

I usually just hand pollinate squashes and melons. I get better yields
that way.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...