Old 04-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Adam

Default Cleaning garden tools

snip
Heavier deposits of rust and thick dirt, grease etc. will all come off
quite easily if you soak the tool in petrol for anywhere from 1 hour to
overnight (I think diesel is even better but I won't swear to that because
I haven't tried it). Scrub with a wire brush, repeat as needed and then
proceed as above. I would expect that "medium" deposits of rust can be
removed using wd-40 or CRC or whatever you have.

snip
You can remove all traces of rust by soaking the metal in molasses.
Sounds strange, but it works really well. Buy a small tub of molasses
from a farm supply shop, mix with water at about 10 parts water to 1
part molasses.
Stick the rusty implements in the mix and leave to soak for however
long it takes.
Small rust marks will disappear in a day, heavy rust can take about a
week.
If it takes a week, the mix will get a covering of a marshmallow sort
of mould. It's harmless as far as I know, and doesn't smell or
anything.

My Dad heard about this from a guy restoring vintage cars - it's light
on elbow grease and doesn't abrade the metal. I've since used it to
great effect to restore some old tools - files, screwdrivers and a
saw.
Once they are done, oil the metal so no more rust forms. WD-40, CRC,
RP7 are all fine for this.

Good Luck !

Adam