Old 05-02-2004, 01:02 AM
The Kenosha Kid

Default Ageing Tap Water In Barrels

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:25:50 GMT, Dave Millman
wrote:

The Kenosha Kid wrote:

Does anyone have experience in ageing water in the blue barrels (30 or
55 gallon) until the chlorine/chloramine is dissipated to a level safe
for fish? I wish to know if this is possible with a barrel with the
bung hole open and how long it takes for the water to be safe.

I am in San Jose and some of the water is chlorine treated and some is
chloramine treated.

I am also in San Jose. You can effectively age tap water to get rid of
Chlorine, especially if you agitate or aerate it. But that is NOT a viable
way to remove Chloramines. Just use Amquel or Prime and be done with it.
If you need large volumes of water (100gallons per week) and want to save
money, you can investigate some of the sodium thiosulfate-based dry powder
products available. But a $5 bottle of Prime lasts me a year.

SNIP

Thank you. That was very helpful.