Old 05-02-2004, 06:45 PM
hugh

Default Lawn Spikers

In message , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , hugh
] writes
In message , Jan
writes
Regarding those manual lawn aerating machine things that you push along,
spikes on a roller. Are they any good and do they make the job easier? Or
is a garden fork just as effective? The machines are on sale at B&Q right
now and I wondered if I should buy one.

Yes they make the job easier.
Yes a garden fork is just as effective - probably more effective
IMHO, having got one, I think they are a CWOT.

The best thing is a tool that removes a plug of earth, rather than
squashing the soil to one side, to make a hole.

Hollow tine aerator. Our local hire shop used to have a motorised one,
but they've now replaced it with a larger version which is too big for
domestic gardens.
--
hugh