Old 05-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default Lawn Spikers WTHDEHTHSMI?

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

WTHDEHTHSMI?

Exactly!

Why The Heck Do We Have To Have So Many Initials?

I am afraid I only speak English, I don't speak abbreviations or Mobile
speak or what ever is giving rise to this ever increasing glut of
initials/abbreviations or what ever you want to call them.

Abbreviation-to-initials was being used in usenet long before phone
text messaging increased the use of word contractions. Initials,
abbreviations, and word contractions were all used long before usenet
was invented, in much older signal systems such as telegraphy,
semaphore, morse code and road signs.

Janet