Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Kay Easton

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Kay wrote in message after me and
yes, it will be. On the whole, youngsters don't feel at home in
meetings. You need to go to them .. besides, it's a good way to
demonstrate your good faith and real intention to take their ideas on
board.

And remember, they are subject to more outside constraints like we are -
we never have to miss a meeting because our mother has demanded we tidy
our bedroom ;-)

Trouble is, we want the ones whose mothers couldn't care if they tidied
their rooms, couldn't care if they are in or not by midnight at 12 years
old, or what they are doing, just as long as they keep out of her hair.
They are the ones that are going to wreck this Park and we want them on
board to try to prevent it. But how?

Oh dear! You have a hard task on your hands!

What sort of park is it? Skateboard parks seem flavour of the month atm,
and kids are very knowledgeable about the sort of facilities they want.
We seem to be working quite well with a bunch of kids to design a
skateboard park for the park opposite us, and the leading lights of this
group I picked up on the delivery area behind the local shopping area,
where they had constructed an ad hoc park from pallets and industrial
waste.

But on the nature Park we look after we haven't managed Involvement, and
use a defensive strategy. We try not to create natural gathering areas -
kids like to gather in large groups for an al fresco drink, and are not
wedded to the idea of taking their litter home with them - so place
seats singly and far apart. And our seats are quite hard to break -four
1.5 inch thick, 6in wide planks bolted on to a metal frame which has the
lower 2ft embedded in buried concrete. Mechanical destruction doesn't
work, and it takes quite a big fire to get through the wood, which can
then easily be replaced.

We dismantle any dens which are made because for every group which makes
a den, there is another group which regards it as an ideal bonfire. But
we try to contact the group who made it, offer them the chance to
dismantle and retrieve any materials they want, and explain to them why
we have to remove it. If we can't find them, we leave a note pinned to a
nearby tree.

We also treat any kids we meet in the park in the same way as anyone
else - say hello to them, engage in conversation, explain we are
volunteers and not 'the council'.

Other than that, it's common sense. Best not to have litter bins, as
they are either set fire to or emptied into the pond. Notice boards have
to be designed with vandalism in mind - tough but mendable. Frequent
litter picks, because litter encourages more litter. Path edgings well
secured so they can't easily be removed.

And remember that vandalism is part and parcel of urban life - you could
avoid it by being out in the middle of nowhere, but you wouldn't have so
many people enjoying the park. Don't let yourself be disheartened.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: