Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Neil Jones

Default Cut Flower Suggestions

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...
The message
from Ian contains these words:

In recent years I have grown varieties of Cosmos and Dahlia for

cut-flower
for the house. I fancy growing something new this year - can anyone

suggest
anything please. I am particulalry thinking of cut-and-come-again

annuals.

I grow marigolds in the veg garden, and cut their flowers for the
house...I like their spicy acid smell though not everyone does. I used
to grow rows of cheap tulips, also in the veg garden. Where they grow

in
the main garden I can't bear to cut too many; if they are in the veg
garden I could cut the lot with no pangs at all.

Are you growing any perennials and shrubs for cut flowers? At my
allotment I used to grow a very cheap selection of Woolworths HT

roses,
and the common dark red paeonies, just for cutting (I don't appreciate
either of them as a garden plant).

Janet.

How do you stop the tulips from drooping when they're in the vase? We've
tried keeping the water topped up but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Neil