Old 05-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Kay Easton

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Kay wrote in message after me...

Trouble is, we want the ones whose mothers couldn't care if they tidied
their rooms, couldn't care if they are in or not by midnight at 12 years
old, or what they are doing, just as long as they keep out of her hair.
They are the ones that are going to wreck this Park and we want them on
board to try to prevent it. But how?

Oh dear! You have a hard task on your hands!

What sort of park is it? Skateboard parks seem flavour of the month atm,
and kids are very knowledgeable about the sort of facilities they want.
We seem to be working quite well with a bunch of kids to design a
skateboard park for the park opposite us, and the leading lights of this
group I picked up on the delivery area behind the local shopping area,
where they had constructed an ad hoc park from pallets and industrial
waste.

That's the point, I and some others including some kids I've managed to talk
to want more of a nature park but others have said a skateboard ramp,
multicourt, etc is needed, could we do both, possibly.

A skateboard park doesn't need to be huge. Most of them are very
artificial looking structures. There are some companies who will do more
natural looking ones, but they are more expensive.

Unless we get some
imput from the youth we are only trying to second guess what they want and
will use.

Yes, absolutely.

At the moment Sainsbury's has given us £1,000 towards trees. (One of our
guys works for them). We will be trying to get outside funding for any
equipment needed as our Council have run out of money for the project.

Remember councils tend to work on year by year budgets so this time of
year is a bad time. Things may change in April ;-)

Trees seem to be easy to get hold of, often free. It's useful to ask if
any money grants can be used towards bulbs and plants, especially once
you've got the outline and basic tree planting sorted.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: