Old 05-02-2004, 07:13 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Citrus in pots?

Gilbert, AZ, being 20 miles SE of Phoenix, is probably a safe bet for
putting citrus in the ground. I don't know your climate data but I
wouldn't think it gets in the mid 20's in the winter so you'd be o-k. A
lot of Satsuma and Mandarin oranges on tri-foliate rootstock are
cold-hardy to around 22 degrees in Houston, TX. If a hard, hard freeze
does hit here, a large vat of water placed next to the tree moderates
the climate around it. I heard some will place a blanket on the ground
covering the trunk. I even heard one guy wrapped Christmas lights around
the tree.

Dr. Bob Randall, http://www.urbanharvest.org, recommends putting citrus
in the ground, don't let it get over 9 feet tall and scaffold prune it
for strength in January.

JK

Brandon wrote:
=

Am considering a grapefruit,Valencia Orange and a Meyer lemon tree for =

my
yard in Gilbert AZ. Not really sure where I want to plant them, plenty=

of
space, I kind of like the idea of putting them in LARGE decorative pots=

as I
have seem them planted that way in several places. BUT I wonder, what =

kind
of growth can I expect out of them if they are in pots? I would like t=

o see
decent sized "trees"( I know the lemon is technically a bush), but will=

the
pot size limit this growth?
Thanks
Brandon