Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
jrstark

Default Geraniums- indoors for the winter

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
(danielle) wrote:

My geranium plants live outside during the summer but I keep
them indoors in the winter. Can anyone give me advice about the
best way to do this? Someone suggested wrapping them in newspaper
and storing them in a dark place. Someone else said put them indoors
but don't water them at all. Another person said to leave them outside
in a sheltered spot. I've tried all 3 with varying success.
Can anyone give advice? What's the best way?

I put mine on top of the fridge and let them grow all winter. Whack them
back without mercy when they get leggy.

Jan, Alaska
USDA Zone 4

I have a citrosa that is getting really leggy, but it also looks like it
will bloom soon (little green buds).

Was planning on cutting it back when I take it outside, should I do it
sooner? How far back is without mercy? It's about 29" at the tallest,
but there is some lower growth.

It's in my semi-heated basement, about 50 degrees F and growing towards
the lamp.

Janine