Old 05-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Brandon

Default Citrus in pots?

"David Ross" wrote in message
Brandon wrote:

Am considering a grapefruit,Valencia Orange and a Meyer lemon tree for

my
yard in Gilbert AZ. Not really sure where I want to plant them, plenty

of
space, I kind of like the idea of putting them in LARGE decorative pots

as I
have seem them planted that way in several places. BUT I wonder, what

kind
of growth can I expect out of them if they are in pots? I would like to

see
decent sized "trees"( I know the lemon is technically a bush), but will

the
pot size limit this growth?
Thanks
Brandon

If you want citrus in containers, consider dwarf trees. I have a
Eureka lemon, a Robertson navel orange, and a kumquat, each in an
18-inch tub in my back yard (redwood tubs 18 inches in diameter
and 18 inches deep). The lemon and orange grow like small trees;
the kumquat remains like a bush.

Ahhhh, that is a consideration for got about dwarf trees. I think the size
is a factor though, I really want to have good substantial trees eventually,
looks like they are going into the ground.
One consideration as well...how far away from the reflectivity of the pool
should they be?

Thanks
Brandon

David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Sunset Zone: 19 -- interior Santa Monica Mountains with some ocean
influence (USDA 10a)