Old 06-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Blue

Default Amazoy (Zoysia) grass anyone?

I am in a life and death struggle with what I have been told is a Kikuyu
grass invasion here in Los Angeles county. I treated it with Roundup and
then after arduous dethatching reseeded it with annual rye to await the hot
months. The stuff actually poisons the ground where it is densest and the
seeds won't take. Now I see it resprouting from the roots, something I was
told to expect. When it takes off again I plan to apply Roundup again but
just don't know where I am going in this battle.\

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
Chelsea Christenson wrote:

I mentioned it to the landscaper once and he said it's essentially
crabgrass. Which doesn't tell you if it needs water or stays green, but
should give you an idea of its agressiveness...

Crabgrass is an annual. Zoysia is a perennial.

Zoysia grass (Zoysia species) is often touted as a miracle grass, and
while many of the claims of its virtues are true, there are also
drawbacks. Three species available: Japanese lawn grass ( Z. japonica ),
Manila grass ( Z. matrella ), and Korean grass ( Z. tenuifolia ). Korean
grass is more a ground cover than lawn grass. It's wiry but
fine-textured and creates interesting mounds as it grows. Only Japanese
lawngrass is available as seed. While tough and resilient once
established, it is notorious for its poor germination, short green
season, and long dormant season. The newest varieties 'Zen 300' and
'Zenith', improve upon all three traits. Hulled and treated seed
germinate in 2 weeks and can make a lawn in 2 months. The color of
Japanese lawngrass is similar to bluegrass, but blades are much stiffer.
Vegetative selections of Japanese lawngrass include 'Meyer' and 'El
Toro'. Manila grass has stiff and flat leaves with a fine texture and
deep green color. It makes a high quality lawn in tropical areas, but is
planted from sprigs, plugs, or sod only. Other zoysias to plant in the
same way include 'Cashmere', 'De Anza', 'Emerald', and 'Victoria'.

This came from:
http://www.gardenplace.com/content/c...tor/seeds.html

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to