Old 06-02-2004, 06:20 AM
Ben Lurkin

Default Cattleya question?

Thank you all for responding. I repotted this evening. Here is what I
found and what I did.

But first, my orchid gh is a 55 gallon aquarium and with two Florissant
fixtures [four 40 watt bulbs]. I have a very small fan in it to circulate
the air. Usually, I put most out side for the summer; however, they did not
get outside this last summer. One of my Oncidium's is in bloom. Too much
light is not a problem.

On somebody's website, I read, a good way to water cats was with ice cubes.
The mini's would look much better when I could to remember to put ice on the
pots several time a week.

Tonight on removing from the pots I found, there were a lot of dead roots.
They were like a wilted woody stem; hard and brown. They went into such
shock when I repotted them last time that I am sure that is when they died.
There were also some healthy roots but I had hoped for more. There were
also some other things in there, including some wild life. I will start a
new thread on that.

For the larger plant I put some Shultz mix through a 5/8-inch screen to get
a finer mix more like what they came in. Then I mixed in some of the fine
stuff from the bottom of the bag. I planted it in a 2 ¼ x 2 ¼ plastic pot
that is 2 ¼ inch high.

For the little guy [there is not much there] four growths less than half
inch tall and roots about the same length, I put it on sphagnum in a small
plastic pot.

Thanks again for your help!

Ben