Old 06-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] ants

In a message dated 2/4/2004 10:17:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have a Shimpaku Juniper, and I have noticed the past couple days there
are
ant trails all along the trunk.

I have a lot of ants of various species but am not sure what an ant trail
looks like. Do you mean ants following one another? If they are coming out of
the soil and running up the trunk it is probably a reaction to your watering of
the trees.
BUT, ants in your soil around plants is usually not a good thing. Although
they probably are not feeding on the roots, their tunnels will make the roots
dry out and die.
You probably should repot if possible and definitely treat the soil for the
ants.
Where is the tree being kept?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++